First of all, update your software to 6.0 version. You will find Voice search button on the remote. Press this button and follow on-screen instructions to complete the setup process. To enable ‘Ok Google’ or hands-free mode, an update of Shield controller is required.
Software versions required:
- Shield version with 6.0 or higher. You can check it from ‘System upgrade’ option.
- For Hands-free support, a shield controller with firmware version 1.14 is required. A sufficient battery with more than 30% remaining is required.
- Google play service app: The version of this app should be higher than 11.5.17. You can check it from Google play store.
Countries supported: The countries supported by Shield TV currently is the U.S
How to talk to Google assistant with Shield TV?
You can talk to Google assistant via two ways.
- Press voice search button from remote: Press the Mic button given on the remote of your NVidia TV.
- Speak ‘OK Google’ through Mic of your remote. You don’t need to pick up the remote. The distance between you and the controller must be not more than 5 feet.
How to turn on ‘OK Google’ support?
If you want to switch on this feature, you need to simply speak ‘Hey google’ in mic. Otherwise, to enable Google, you have to go to ‘Settings’ then on ‘Accessories’ and finally select controller. If you keep this assistant on for a longer period, then this may consume the battery faster. To mute the mic temporarily, you can click on the Mute button from the row of the home screen.
Steps to troubleshooting Google voice assistant
For seamless working of “OK Google”, you need a firmware version higher than 1.14 in your Shield TV controller. Your device must be sufficiently charged before starting the updating process.
As discussed in the above passage, you can check the current version installed in your Shield TV easily from settings. The settings row is also given on the Home screen of NVidia shield TV. Go to ‘Active’ controller and click on it. If you find update available option on it, then you can apply for the same.
If the Google assistant or ‘OK Google’ is not enabled by default, you can enable it manually from settings. The steps are mentioned here as under:
- Open the home screen with the help of remote and click on ‘Settings’.
- Go to ‘Google settings’ from the setting menu.
- Click on ‘Enable OK Google’ detection.
- Open Shield accessories now by moving one step backward.
- Swipe the button to on for ‘OK Google’ detection.
- The service is now active. Exit from the current screen and go to home screen.
- You will find a mic icon on the home screen.
- Verify the ‘OK Google’ device.
- If you are facing problem in enabling the ‘Ok Google’ manually even after updating the firmware of your controller, then you can either call technical support provider or over to ‘Google app’ from Settings menu and click on ‘Clear data’.
- Repeat steps starting from 2 to 8 now.